Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The 90's (especially the mid 90's)was a fantastic musical period (personally anyway). I was done with High School and had no ambitions other than going to shows and hanging with friends. I spent a lot of time at Fireside Bowl (those from the chicagoland area should know this venue and how amazingly important it was to the music scene). Just about every show there was memorable. Most of them get lost in the mix of memory, but a couple shine through. Most of the time, the memorable performance was one of the opening acts that I had never heard before. Specifically this show on 7/21/96. I was there to see Anal Cunt and Charles Bronson. But who I was not prepared for were Flying Luttenbachers and Xerobot. Both bands were fucking incredible. To this day I think of the Xerobot performance as a major influence on me. It was one of my first exposures to a band using analog synths in very unconventional ways. And the Flying Luttenbachers, well, they're just legendary.

Since the early 2000's I've fallen out of the "scene". I can only hope that under everything there are still kids in bands doing things nontraditional and playing in some of the worst venues ever. Sometimes it feels like the internet has spoiled that idea, but that could just be me and my old dumb age blaming things on my oldness and out-of-touchness.

Anyway, I started this post with a direction, but now I don't care so...

No comments:

Post a Comment